The Village of Fenton City Council will meet on the second Tuesday of each month at 6:30 p.m. in the
Fenton City Hall.
509 First Street
P.O. Box 250
Fenton, LA 70640
In 1893, Mr. S.J. Fenton donated 240 acres to be surveyed for a town along the Watkins Railroad (later the Missouri Pacific Railroad). The school was built on part of this donated land. Mr. I. J. Mills donated the lumber for the school building on the condition that his daughter, Jennie, would teach at the school. In the early years, teachers were paid a princely price of forty dollars a month to teach the first six grades. Until 1909, church services and Sunday school were held in the Fenton School House.
In 1915, a new four-room, brick school building was erected at a site on the West Side of town. Fenton School then had three teachers.
In 1937, a new high school was added onto the 1915 structure. While construction was going on, some classes were held in the Community Hall while other classes met in Reed's Dance Hall. Within the next two years, a Home Economics Cottage and a gymnasium were erected on the campus.
In 1951, a newly constructed Fenton High School replaced the old Fenton School on the same site. The school remained a combined elementary/high school until the beginning of school year 1994-95 when the high school was closed due to declining enrollment. At that time, high school students were bussed to nearby Lacassine High School and Fenton High School was renamed Fenton Elementary School.
Today, Fenton Elementary School is a PreK - 8 school located in the village of Fenton in the northwest corner of Jefferson Davis Parish. Fenton Elementary is proud of it's colorful past and looks forward with eager anticipation to a bright future.
The Mission Statement for Fenton Elementary School is the following:
Jefferson Davis Parish School System will provide all students with educational opportunities to achieve success in a multicultural, global society.
St. Charles Borromeo
Fenton Baptist Church
Greater St. Joseph